Sunday, March 19, 2023

Blog Post #3- The Supreme Court

     The head of the Judicial Branch in the U.S. government is called The Supreme Court Of The United States. This can also be called SCOTUS for short like how The President Of The United States we shorten it to POTUS. This is one of the three branches of our government, the other two being the Legislative Branch and the Executive Branch. One thing that I did not know and I think is also important for others to know is the Supreme Court has the responsibility of evaluating all the laws in the United States and determining whether or not they are constitutional. Another important thing I learned was that each Supreme Court Justice had their own big accomplishments that were very different from each other. This surprised me because I had assumed they all handled very similar things and did not have very much diversity from each other. The Supreme Court was also created by the constitution back in 1789. This also gave congress the ability to create inferior Federal courts.

    One important thing I took away from learning more about the Supreme Court is that they also have the power to check on what the Executive and Legislative branch do. While all branches have the ability to also do so, for example, to impeach the President, that would be part of the checks and balances. It is the Chief Justice who goes to join in the trial with the Senate. Surprisingly, Congress was the group that made the decision on how the Supreme Court was organized. Congress decided that it would consist of six justices who would then serve until retired or died. The Supreme Court also handles more than just civil cases. For example, they weighed in on a case where public schools were violating the First Amendment. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog Post

      My relationship with technology in my opinion is extremely unhealthy. When I compare myself to my family and friends and their relatio...